x
  • IP Copied!
    Click to Copy IP
    0 Players Online
  • Join our Discord!
    0 Users Online
  • Staff Application Guide for New Applicants

Discussion in 'Guides & "How To"' started by boba, Jun 28, 2022.

1. boba

boba Retired Administrator Premium

[​IMG]

୨୧ Staff Application Guide ୨୧

This thread is a non-official guide to help staff applicants improve their staff applications and to provide helpful tips and suggestions to make sure their applications can describe the best of theirselves!

[​IMG]

୨୧ Application Process ୨୧
      Staff applications are an official way to declare your interest in being apart of Mineverse's in-game staff team. When applying, you are applying for the Moderator position. This position is the lowest in-game moderation position which allows you to understand how moderating works and play your part in helping the server.

After creating your application, it will be publicly posted, therefore any member with a Forums account can reply to it, and give their opinion and feedback. When applying, you should understand that a promotion is NOT confirmed and that this role is voluntary, meaning there is no compensation, nor are there any benefits (except extra permissions).

Your application will be reviewed and assessed by the higher ups; the higher ups include head moderators and administrators. They have the final say and the decision whether to promote you or choose to let you improve your skills and not promote you is up to them.

[​IMG]

୨୧ Template Breakdown ୨୧
      The staff application template can be found here, and must be used in every application. Each question listed should be answered with honesty, and should not be ignored, nor should the answer must be invalid/fake.

– Your in-game name:
      It's quite obvious as to how you answer this. Simply state your account name!

Example: My IGN is BobaLatte | BobaLatte | My in-game name is BobaLatte

– What timezone are you in?

State the timezone you are in. If you are unsure, you can Google your city and country to figure it out!

Example: I am in the EST timezone | EST | My timezone is EST (UTC -4)

– What country do you live in?

Again, very simple, just state your country! This is used to understand your timezone and location, and is used for our #staff channel on our Discord server.

Example: I live in Canada | Canada

– What languages do you speak?

This question is asked to understand if you're able to assist members in different languages who may not be able to speak English. Be honest; do not count your 1 course in German, or 0.5 years in Spanish. If you're able to fluently or intermediately speak and write in a language, please list so.

Example: I speak/write fluent English and fluent French | I understand, can read and write in English, German, Latin and Korean | English, Greek, and Spanish

– Do you have the necessary means of capturing evidence? (i.e. recording software, screenshots, etc)
      It's important that you are able to capture both static and video evidence. You will be dealing with hackers, and trolls, therefore having the right tools to capture evidence is vital.

Popular tools to capture evidence include the F2 key for Minecraft that captures screenshots, Gyazo and Gyazo GIF, QuickTime Player (Mac), OBS, Bandicam, and/or any built-in screen recorder.

Example: Yes, I do. I have Gyazo, QuickTimePlayer and OBS | I have OBS, Bandicam and I can use F2 | I use Gyazo and Bandicam

– Why do you think you should become a mod?
      This is a very important question, and you're allowed to go all about on this. You can either write a mass paragraph and talk about everything at once, or you can use categories to separate your reasonings. Personally, using categories is MUCH cleaner, and makes your application look more professional.

Example of categories include: Responsible | Active | Knowledgable | Experienced | Professional | Mature | Attentive | Honest | Understanding | Patient | Calm | Friendly | Organized | Management | Respectful

(Aim to use 3-5 of these!)

– How long can you be active on the server everyday?
      Be honest, and do not force yourself to be active 24/7. Be as active as you can, within your limits, boundaries, and schedule. You could include your hours per weekday and weekend, or give an estimate amount.

Example: Mon-Fri: 3-5 hours - Sat-Sun: 6-7 hours | I can be active approximately 4-5 hours per day

How long have you been playing Mineverse?
      You could either specify from which year, or the amount of years you've been playing for!

Example: I've been playing since 2013 | Since 2015 | I've been around for 5 years | 5-6 years

– What punishments have you received in the last 9 months? (Forums & In-game)
      Remember again, be honest. Existing moderators can see your history and exactly know what you've been punished for. It's best you be honest and try to list as many as you can remember! Check your inbox on Forums to see Forum punishments as the infraction system creates a conversation explaining the infraction reasoning on behalf of the punishing staff.

Example: Banned for Advertising in 2013 - Banned for Death Threats in 2015 | Tempbanned in 2016 for Excessive Spam | I've never been banned!

Try to use this section to add how you'll avoid breaking rules in the future and if you've matured or not!

– Do you have any past experience as a moderator?
      This is where you can list your experiences! If you've moderated another Minecraft server, list it! If you've been an administrator somewhere, list it! Be honest and do not lie! Avoid mentioning server names or IPs.

Example: I was a moderator for Mineverse in 2015-2017, and then I was demoted for malicious activity | I was an admin on another server with 2000+ people, and currently am a moderator for a Discord server | I do not have any previous experience

– Do you meet all Mineverse's requirements for staff listed below? Yes/No

There are 4 major requirements that are necessary to meet in order for your application to be considered:
      • Do you have 25 Post Count?
      View your post count on your profile. Avoid post farming (posting excessively) to meet this requirement as it can be caught and you may be punished.
      • Do you have Two Factor Authentication set up?
      This applies for your Forums account and Discord account. You need 2FA enabled for security reasons as it will lower the risk of your account being hacked and used to defame you or to use the permissions given in an ill-mannered way.
      • Have you had 2 Weeks registered on the Mineverse Forums?
      View your join date on your profile. This shows that you've been here long enough to understand the Forum basics!
      This is very important. It is required that you use Skype and Discord to communicate with other staff members. Skype is primarily used by the server owner (Noobcrew) and is the best way to contact him; Discord is the best way to contact everyone, and you will be asked to join the Mineverse Discord and the Mineverse Staff Discord. While there is no age limit, Discord's TOS requires you to be 13 or older for an account to be valid. If you do not meet this age limit, you will most likely not be able to be a staff member.
      • What is your Discord tag?
      Very simple, copy and paste your Discord tag.

Example: My Discord tag is boba#9372 | clarity#0001 | My tag is cwes#0350

[​IMG]

୨୧ Tips and Suggestions ୨୧
      • Avoid using multi-colours, stick to a scheme.
      • Do not use multiple fonts, one is good.
      • Avoid using too many symbols, emojis, or special text, as it drags away the focus of your application.
      • Be professional, mature, honest, and respectful in your application.
      • Keep your application organized, and limit any images etc.
      [​IMG]

୨୧ Grammar ୨୧

Grammar is quite important in an application. While not everyone's first language is English, it's vital for your application to be readable. Use sources such as a translator app, Grammarly, and/or any grammar app.

While aesthetic might be important, avoid using special fonts or lowercasing every word (such as the start of your sentence, or a proper noun).

Try to use the oxford comma (this means the comma goes before a conjunction [conjunctions are for example: "and" | "or" | "so" | "then"]) for professionalism. (not necessary, but adds some flare)

Do not butcher words, and try to avoid abbreviations:
      • Don't -> do not
      • Can't -> cannot
      • Ok -> Okay

[​IMG]

୨୧ Other Helpful Links ୨୧
      Moderator App FAQ
      Supporting an Applicant
      Moderator App Requirements

-=-

Hope this guide helps! Good luck to all applicants and to anyone who plans on applying!
      Credits to @Mai for inspiration since she slays!

Hidden Content:
      You must reply before you can see the hidden data contained here.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2023
    2. Malik Shahid

Malik Shahid Established Member

If you were demoted for malicious activity why would they return your position as moderator?

3. boba

not confirmed if they'd get promoted or not lol, also it was just an example PLS :confused:

4. Teeeb

Teeeb Senior Moderator Senior Moderator Competition Leader Discord Leader Competition Team

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    5. Malc

Malc The Pro Moderator Premium

Thank you Boba! I'm going to apply the second I reach 25 posts!

6. boba

can't wait to no support the app!

• Like Like x 1
    7. sabrina

sabrina Discord Moderator Discord Moderator Premium

no support

8. boba

Hello!

I thought I'd start my application off with telling you a bit about me, so those of you who don't know me as well can understand the character behind the application. I know this isn't necessary, but I wanted to do this. My name is Sabrina, I'm 18 years old, I live in England with my family and am currently studying part time for a Health and Social Care degree at University. My hobbies include Mineverse, editing videos for my YouTube channel, talking to friends and caring for my animals.

I started playing Mineverse in 2014. I joined the creative server here and instantly fell in love with the community, and made many friends that I will never forget. I even thought of applying for moderator back then too, but realised I only ever played Creative, and they had recently implemented "global" moderators. I left MV in late 2016 to focus on studies, and because the community was dying down.

In March of this year, the pandemic caused my school to shut down, meaning I had to continue my studies from home. This left me with a lot of free time (and time to procrastinate work) so I thought I'd log into the forums and see what everyone was up to. It was here that I met some of my closest friends from the community today, who encouraged me to re-download Minecraft and hop back on the server. I am now an active player on pretty much all game modes, even Skywars which has now become it's own network.

I know some of you may be wondering why I'm starting this application, especially after I have told quite a few people I wasn't going to apply. Well, after hearing more about the position & some kind words from dear friends, I decided to take the leap and apply. Even if I don't get the position, I will be able to learn from this whole experience.
      [​IMG]
      My IGN: Sa_Sa_Sabrina
      Timezone: GMT+1
      Languages: English & French
      Capturing Evidence: OBS & Gyazo (keybinds for instant capture)
      Activity: I'm active pretty much every day, from around 11AM-11PM in my timezone. I am constantly active on forums & on the MV discord when not active in game, and have MineChat installed for on-the-go.
      How long I have been playing: I have been on mineverse since 2014, and forums since 2015.
      Past punishments: I have been warned twice on the forums for rate farming, both of which were mistakes on my part. I have accepted these warnings and I believe the points have expired. I have never been banned or muted in-game.
      Previous experience: Sadly, I have no past experience as a moderator on a Minecraft server, but everyone has to start somewhere. However, from being friends with a few moderators already on the staff team, I have already heard quite a lot about what goes into the daily life as a moderator, what expectations they have to uphold and tasks they have to complete. Of course, hearing about it is different to actually experiencing it, but hopefully this will be a learning experience for me. I am currently a moderator for the Mineverse discord!
      [​IMG]
      50 Post Count: Yes
      2FA Enabled: Yes
      2 Weeks on Forums: Yes
      Skype & Discord: Yes
      Discord Tag: sabrina#7209
      [​IMG]
      I want to start off by naming some qualities and traits that moderators should possess, and why I fit this criteria.
      Approachable - Moderators should always uphold friendly and welcoming personalities, and not alienate themselves from the general player base. Players should feel as if they can talk to moderators about issues occurring in-game, or even just have general conversation with them. I like to think of myself as approachable, I show interest in players and how they are feeling, am active in chat and forums when there are conversations and discussions both on and off topic, and try my best to help any players that need it. Even a friendly hello can make someone's day, so I strive to be friendly and approachable to all.

Helpful - Moderators should always be helpful to players, answering any questions or queries no matter how "obvious" it may be to the moderator. New players need guidance and help to understand how the server works, and moderators should do their best to help them, without belittling or criticising their questions or concerns. I try my best to answer any questions written on the help section of forums, the #help channel on discord and written in-game to the best of my ability. If I don't know the answer to a question or concern raised by a player, I do my best to help them find the answer, by contacting a member of staff. If I am unable to help them myself, I make sure that they do get the help they need by bringing it forward, whether this means DMing staff, asking another online player, or checking the answer for myself if I am able to do so.

Team Player - I believe moderators should work well with others, supporting each-other when needed and helping other moderators with any issues they may have. Of course, moderators should talk to higher staff when having issues beyond their power, but they should also help out others on the staff team to moderate to the best of their abilities, and be an active member in the staff team. I like to think I get along well with most if not all of the staff team members, and would play my part as a member of the team to help and support others.

Hard-Working - I believe that moderators should put time and effort into what they do, as any mistakes could result in a false ban, giving someone the wrong answer when asking for help, or even a staff report made on them. Moderators should work hard to fulfil their tasks and duties, whether it's logging their bans or giving detailed responses to anyone who asks for help. I believe myself to be a very ambitious person, always putting effort in to achieve my goals and reach deadlines. Being in University means that nothing I do can be half-finished, I have to do everything to my full potential. I would love to build on this skill by being a moderator here.

Objective - I believe that moderators should not be swayed by personal opinion. They should not go out of their way to ban / warn / mute someone based on their own view on that player, as this is immature and does not show good moderator conduct. Instead, moderators should apply consequences to players based on factual evidence, and never let their emotions towards that player cloud their judgement. I believe I possess the quality to be impartial, I report players based on the evidence put before me instead of my feelings towards them. This is one of the most important traits a moderator can have.

Next, I want to explain why having me as a moderator will ultimately benefit the server.

Being from a UK timezone, I will be active when most other staff aren't online due to sleep schedules / prior commitments. This will ensure that there can always be at least one staff member online to help players and the community, so the server stays a safe place to play. I have noticed that during my peak hours of playing MV there has been a gap in the availability of the moderating team, so I would like to fix this. I know reporting on forums is an option to mute / warn / ban players who have broken rules during these times, but by then they have already been on the server a while, causing them to do more damage. Having a staff member to fill the gaps where mods can't be active will remove this issue.

As I am fluent in both English and French (first language English but have been learning french since the age of 6) I can act as a translator for any french players who may not understand English. Now I know this is an English-speaking server but this skill could be beneficial on occasion.

I like to think that I have a good reputation, on forums, in game and on discord. I try my best to keep my language clean and I always respect the rules of the server. I strive to be friendly and kind at all times, and if people challenge me with toxicity I choose to ignore it, or even report the player if they are bypassing / being disrespectful. I understand there are players in the community that may not like me, but instead of being toxic or rude in return I choose to be the bigger person in the situation.

I am an active member of the community. This may not be of high importance to most people, but I vote daily, enter competitions where I can, and even host giveaways and drop parties of my own. I am active on the forums and in game, not just to report people but to actually play the server, which I think is extremely important. It may seem obvious to some, but keeping an interest in actually playing on the server, getting involved in conversations and discussions, not just coming on to report players, is extremely important to me.

I'm not perfect. Nobody's perfect. But an important factor in my personality is that I am willing to admit this. We can all make mistakes, and moderators do too. Instead of getting annoyed when a report has "lack of evidence", instead I realise my mistakes, and try to do better next time. This is extremely important, as it has to be known that everyone makes mistakes sometimes, and although we try our best not to, sometimes it happens, and I take it upon myself to learn from these instead of getting angry or annoyed. I can't please everyone, I know this. But I also know I will try my best to perform the best that I can.

Perhaps one of the most important things, I have a sense of humour. I can take a joke. This is still a block game, not everything should be taken seriously. However, there are some situations that have to be handled maturely, and I know when to be serious.

Why I stand out from other applicants

I just want to make it clear that I am in no way degrading other applicants, some of them I know very well and am close friends with. I just want to show how I can stand out from the crowd.

I am well-known and active in the community. I am active every day, both online and on forums, and play an active role in interacting with other members of the community. I ensure that I am friendly and approachable at all times, and try my best to be as engaged as possible in the MV community.

I'm not afraid to admit my weaknesses. I always want to be honest and truthful, and so I have reflected this in my application. No, I don't have any past experience, but I am willing to learn what it takes to be a moderator, and will put my full effort into that.
      [​IMG]
      Before you judge my application, please consider:
      • Have you seen me online on forums, discord and in game, actively helping & reporting players?
      • Do you think I am mature enough for this position?
      • Don't let your feelings towards me, good or bad, cloud your judgement for how suitable I am for the position.
      • Although experience is important, everyone has to start somewhere, and what I don't know already I could learn on the job through mentoring & training.
      • Have you read the whole application?
      Thank you for taking the time to read my application. Please write any feedback or questions you have for me below, and I will answer anything else needed for you to make your decision.
      [​IMG]
      Any FAQ will be answered here, for people to easily see & so I don't have to repeat myself. If you have any questions, please leave them in a reply!
      Didn't you say you weren't going to apply for moderator?
      Yes. I thought my lack of experience would put me a step behind other applicants, but after talking to some dear friends I have decided to try my best and apply anyway.
      Why did you apply now? Why not sooner/later?
      For the past few months I have been debating whether to open an application. It wasn't until now that I gathered up the courage to put myself out there and open this thread. There's no time like the present!

9. Teeeb

Teeeb Senior Moderator Senior Moderator Competition Leader Discord Leader Competition Team

First of all, and perhaps most obvious, I'm a girl.Personally, I think we need more females on the staff team. Staff should be diverse in gender as well as time zone. Statistically, girls are also more likely to be detail-oriented and organized. I am not saying boys can't be these things, I'm just stating what makes me stand out from other applicants.

10. mattenphew

mattenphew Head Moderator Head Moderator Media Team Leader Competition Team Premium

ngl I had no idea sabrina was a girl, wouldn't have promoted her if I knew.

Great work though boba.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2022
    11. Megann

Megann Established Member

Did I just sit and read every single bit of advice… yes
      Did I read Boba’s entire application… yes

Trust me it’s a good read
      Thanks for the thread Boba!

12. boba

girl world!
      thank you!!!