x
  • IP Copied!
    Click to Copy IP
    0 Players Online
  • Join our Discord!
    0 Users Online
  • Skyblock Re-enable iron farms?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by inh, May 10, 2023.

1. inh

inh Discord Moderator Discord Moderator

from a recent ticket I had open (that should have been reported as a bug and not a ticket):
      It seems to me the Skyblock challenge in part is about starting out with minimal resources, and bit by bit, put together a thriving island, gaining access to all the resources possible in the modern updated minecraft.

Native (vanilla) Minecraft game play is engaging (to me), the resources that can be obtained, and the mechanics that help to gain the resources.

I was delighted after building my first dark room mob farm to actually have it work. I was further excited when seeing a zombie villager appear. I realize that servers (mv) at large cripple native minecraft mechanics for one reason or another. Still, (I) set about culling out the zombie villager(s) and attempt to cure them.

whoa, success, I was able to cure 2 zombie villagers!! Next, can I trade? No! :bored: Why? I mean its part of vanilla minecraft, its expected(?)

Ok, how about breeding villagers, does that work? yes! further, an iron golem out of blue spawned. double yes!! Killing the golem dropped iron ingots and poppies, yes yes yes!!

so what's happened here? I was very engaged in the game play, making use of some key vanilla minecraft game mechanics, to gain an important resource for my island... IRON!

Excitedly, did some research (yt) on the latest and greatest iron farms and realized a number of them were being designed using nether portals. Yeah, no. I'd already tested a bit on how the nether portals work on skyblock and that the portals were out as part of a farm design. so what was out there for 1 dimension iron farms...

So, I built a villager pod, with scary zombie, and a collection area. I had a bonified working iron farm, lets go!!!

Earlier I had discovered a slime chunk on the island, and built a farm for that. I discovered that on skyblock, if you were further than 32 blocks, if the slimes spawned in, they would soon stop moving. and without a flushing mechanism, that's as far as it went, the slimes just stalled on the platform and did nothing else. Ok, so this is another skyblock server limitation.

Back to the iron farm, I realized that if I build more than 1 pod of villager/zombie, it would most probably need to be within this 32 block radius limit. and so, that's what I did. I couldn't have a farm from bedrock to build limit, but I could have pods 32 blocks below and 32 blocks above. And that was amazing, fun, engaging, and making use of the vanilla minecraft mechanic, to gain greatly needed resources. win win right?

=================================================================

Minecraft keeps marching on with new resource and mechanics. Sure, I can single player all I want and enjoy the richness that the newest and latest minecraft has to offer. But wait, what if I want to do that along with strangers, a social setting?

More often than not, its going to have to be done with minecraft being crippled. Server admins attempt to augment the deficiency with challenges and quests to name a few. and sure, those do engage, extend game play but I was hoping to have that on top of the modern minecraft...

Thats it, thats my long winded fart in suggesting iron farms be functional on Skyblock?

cheers

• Support Support x 2
      • No Support No Support x 1
    2. Olieee

Olieee Established Member Premium

Support, but only if they change the prices to like $5 to sell each iron since rn iron sell for 65$ each and its way more easier to get than gold nuggets from gold farm and also you have to craft the gold. My friend Itchy got like baltop 4 (45mil) in a few month of afk iron farm on skyblock. Change the prices of iron and Re-enable iron farms as itchy said since it is a part of the game.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Greencube5000

Greencube5000 Established Member

You need to be adding features to the game not removing them if you want to widen your player base. Nerf the iron and bring it back but do not take away things to do on the server!

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. manu:)

manu:) Active Member

It wasn't a feature, though, it was a bug i.e wasn't intentional. Appreciate that it would be cool to have a different way to make money - but in the same way that Mojang doesn't add things that don't match the feel of Minecraft (or if they do they do it gradually), I don't think that iron farms should or will be added. On both Mineverse SB & the sister server, there are items that are meant to be hard to obtain/rare to provide a basis to the economy; grass, iron, diamonds etc. I think enabling iron farms would just replicate the whole gold 'thing' with .net.

Of course it's more nuanced than that but nonetheless I don't support, though open to hearing counterpoints.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. inh

inh Discord Moderator Discord Moderator

counterpoints counterpoints.... (there are) no counterpoints. Your view is justifiable and fitting.

My view and desire: Playing on an up to date communal server that is set up as close to native (vanilla) minecraft as possible.

That's it. Modern Minecraft through all of its updates offers a rich technical building experience. so how to have that?

I mean I kind of get it, communal servers have a different overhead, crippling native minecraft to allow a larger number of players a rich entertaining play experience certainly can be an elusive goal of any server admins.... and I know little on the overhead that allows that.

Observation: Many hours a day, through the whole week, weeks on end, barely anyone logs into Skyblock in mass. I can tell a great many induvials have visited SB, and I've witnessed some rather extensive builds, most of which happened long ago, with narry a whisper of the original owners ever to return.

I myself only logged into SB because survival was down. And then became engrossed in how far I could get on SB before reaching a certain point if disinterest. (hint: technical/mechanical builds engage me)

One of the issues with low attendance of course is no player economy. Further, even if a handful of players logged in, to afford a Skyblock economy who's got resources for it at the beginning. Priming the (player) experience/economy is tough as it sits now.

(building a melon/pumkin farm that takes over half the island to make game $$, expires me, that's not a rich entertaining player experience to me.)

It saddens me that a larger past population isn't here to offer further views, let alone to peek in on this commentary. :shrug: I took a chance that this suggestion might gain traction enough to bring about a further change idk....