x
  • IP Copied!
    Click to Copy IP
    0 Players Online
  • Join our Discord!
    0 Users Online
  • Infection Important Infection Suggestion (Maps)

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Robo, Apr 26, 2020.

1. Robo

Robo Well-Known Member

Infection maps have grown stale over the years and they need to be replaced ASAP. I'm talking about adding in more maps than last year's map competition and replacing current ones with them. There are so many map submissions on forums and it's so rare when a map actually does get added. In 2019 only a handful of maps got added and before then it was years before a map was added. We need to remove or "vault" some old maps and add new ones into rotation. There's already a lot of unused maps created by players in the Infection world and my question is, why aren't they used? This is a quote directly from Janice over 7 months ago: "Amlii, Apocalypses, and Halex00, we loved your maps but they were not able to be added this time around. However, we are planning to add yours at another date." That quote is from the map competition over 7 months ago. How long is a later date?

The infection player count barely passes 30 at peak times and at night it can drop down to 0. I noticed that some maps actually make people leave because they just aren't made for infection. Sure maps like Cherokee look good but there's so many spots that zombies will never win. It's supposed to be easy for zombies to win and hard for humans to survive. The server itself is growing again and it reached over 300 players just over a week ago yet Infection is still as dead as it was a few years ago.

Newer players might think this is normal but in 2014 it was normal for infection to reach 90+ players at peak hours and usually stayed above 30 at the lowest hours.
      Here's a screenshot as an example:

old infection.png
      Why aren't maps being added monthly? There also needs to at least be a map competition that adds even more maps every year to ensure that there's always new maps. Not all maps need to be replaced but there needs to be new maps in and out of rotation. This may not bring back the numbers of players that it had in the old days but it will at least keep the game mode fresh for the people who actually play it.
      Thank you.

2. Pillow

Pillow Active Member

Support I guess, I'm not as active here as I once was but uh sure! Support. :p

3. NoodleToes

NoodleToes Experienced Member

I'm getting bored of playing on the same maps over and over again. New maps would be a great addition!

4. ParanormalPizza

ParanormalPizza Well-Known Member

I'm not sure we need more maps, but we definitely need better maps. Recently it's seemed like the maps in the current rotation have been quantity over quality, when it should be quality over quantity. Don't get me wrong, the current maps are pleasing to the eyes but a lot of them aren't fun to play.

5. Robo

Robo Well-Known Member

We definitely need to replace old ones rather than just adding.

6. yehs

yehs Builder Builder

Support.
      Not sure about just removing old maps though. Of course there are some that aren't playable at all but they aren't necessarily just the old ones (for example, rust is still a very playable and enjoyable map). But yeah, new maps should get added regularly.

7. Porky

Porky Senior Moderator Senior Moderator Competition Team

maybe add more maps to the rotation, but remove some sometimes to make things more interesting

8. Tonya

Tonya Well-Known Member

Support! As an active member on infection, I find myself playing less and less because it is getting bland (I'm not even max so that's not an excuse). By adding new maps that are suiting to infection, this would make the game far more appealing.

9. Scorv

Scorv Gaming Warlord Premium

I agree with new maps being added, but not in the form of a competition.

The maps to be added (and possibly removed) should be decided by the Infection community, not people who don't play Infection. I feel as though the past competition for Infection maps was more of a popularity contest rather than adding quality maps to improve Infection.

Another thing to keep in mind is well detailed maps may be nice to look at, but are too crowded to pvp in. For example, when they tried updating the kitpvp map by adding more "detail" to it, all it really did was get in the way of the pvping. Less (detail) means more (fun).

Just take a look at this thread: https://www.mineverse.com/threads/ranking-infection-maps.154551/ Most of the maps people are commenting to be their favourites are the simple built maps. Not overly detailed to look good, but just detailed enough to have fun playing on.
      Function over Looks.

I hope everyone thinks about taking these points into consideration when deciding on adding the new maps. Imo, following these will improve the quality of Infection and increase the amount of fun players will have.

Now my suggestion for this suggestion is instead of just having one rotation of maps, how about every week theres a new rotation of 15/20 maps from the pool of maps Mineverse has. That way every week it's a different rotation, every week the game changes. They would either be randomly rotated or voted on by the community, some maps would be locked from voting to prevent repetition. Such as if the map has been in the rotation the last 2 weeks, it can't be voted for the third week. I presume this would have to be done manually, so I guess this would only work if Noobcrew or Janice were willing to do this every week. Or if they gave the perms to do this to a trusted staff member.
      This way we wouldn't have to get rid of any maps, all the maps would have the chance to be played whether it's by popular choice or random chance.

Also I disagree with this, I believe there should be a mixture of zombie biased, human biased maps and balanced maps. Just look at the OG maps. Temple, Caves, Stronghold, old Mineshaft were zombie biased maps. Jungle, Nether, Halloween, Nuketown, Hijacked were Human Biased maps(Took boosting into consideration). Forest, Towers, Rust were balanced maps. A good mix will ensure each map will offer a different advantage. If all the maps had the same advantage, things would get repetitive and boring.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
    10. Grayman

Grayman Experienced Member

Support, I only ever see the boat map or the one with a bunch of trees being used, pretty annoying.

11. Dev

Dev Experienced Member

definite support

12. JustExposed

JustExposed Experienced Member

13. Jaden/eoqa

Jaden/eoqa Active Member

Support 100% we need fresh maps fr

14. Carbonyx

Carbonyx Experienced Member

I think that the requirement for 1.8 blocks only for the new infection maps didn't help with the issue. The old maps still play just fine, but they look dated; the entire Infection server is dated. It doesn't feel like something you should be playing in 2020.

15. Robo

Robo Well-Known Member

Yeah but to be fair almost every server is limited to 1.8 blocks. I just feel like the issue is that we need fresh maps once in a while rather than every few years. We also need to replace the unpopular ones.

16. Robo

Robo Well-Known Member

This is a very interesting idea and it could work. I would prefer it to be random as people may stop playing for a week if all of the good maps were chosen the week before.

Yes they were human based, but even then Nuketown and Hijacked were not intended to be. Remember how people were on the rooftops of old Nuketown? They are liked now because of nostalgia. Although I do agree that maps like Hijacked don't feel the same without those iron bars you could walk on. You can't pretend not to remember how everyone groaned when Jungle was revealed to be the next map. It was almost universally hated back then. There were some exceptions such as Nether, which people still liked even though it was human based BUT back then eggs brought you to half a heart and it was so easy to kill people on that map because of that (Bowing them or egging them off).

I half agree with you about having some human based maps but you need to understand that back then it was ok to have more human based maps simply because the player count was massive and the swarms of zombies could easily overwhelm the humans and eggs were overpowered. For example, old Hijacked played much differently with 60 people than old hijacked with 15 people. These days, the low player count makes it almost impossible to kill all of the humans in maps such as Cherokee.

I 100% agree with this. The people who decide what infection maps are added don't even play. How are they to know what map is balanced or not? They decide by detail which would make it nearly impossible to add maps like Rust, Biomes etc these days. Disguising a simple map as a detailed one is the only way for it to be added now (even though they barely add maps) so what's even the point of map submissions if no map is added for years?

17. Juhler1234

Juhler1234 Established Member

Support +1
      I think new maps needs to be added or at least switched.
      Let me setup an example:
      Rust gets vaulted for 2 months and a new map arrives. Let’s just call it “Kingdom”. Then Kingdom will be there for 2 months and will then be vaulted for Rust to come back. That would be a nice feature for players to be excited and waiting for their favorite maps to return.

Have a great day/night everyone
      - Juhler1234

18. Robo

Robo Well-Known Member

Thanks for the support!

19. Robo

Robo Well-Known Member

Bumping

20. Scorv

Scorv Gaming Warlord Premium

I know they were intended to be, but that's how they ended up being which is why I listed them there. I agree, all the recent changes made to the old maps to make them "balanced" ruined them imo. And you can't have maps you love without having maps you hate. A yin needs a yang. I'm not saying all the old maps should be added back because you're right, times have changed. The maps won't be played on like they were before, which makes some maps obsolete. The difference with zombies from then and now is there are less now, but they're stronger. Old zombies only had 1 prestige perk, when present zombies have their perks stack. And Cherokee is a bad map, you can't use that as an example. xd

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020